Bon Beer Voyage Holiday Quiz
Answers to the Bon Beer Voyage Holiday Quiz 2016
1- Which US brewery has been brewing their holiday beer for over 40 years?
- Anchor Brewing with its “Christmas Ale” aka Our Special Ale
This beer was first brewed in 1975 as “Our Special Ale” and has been brewed every year since with a different recipe and a different tree on the label. You will see the year made and “Merry Christmas & Happy New Year” somewhere on the label. In 1975 & 1976 it was brewed and bottled by Steam Beer Brewing Co; since 1977 it was brewed and bottled by Anchor Brewing Co.
2- Which Belgian brewer makes a beer whose name translates into English as “Silent Night?”
- Kris Herteleer of De Dolle Brouwers brews the well-loved Christmas beer called Stille Nacht
3- What is Wassail?
- The answer we were looking for was:
- A hot drink traditionally served at Christmastime made with beer, wine or cider and using spices, sugar and usually baked or roasted apples.
- Other correct answers (although not related to beer and not really what we were looking for) were:
- A toast to someone’s health
- To go Christmas caroling from to house to house (usually after drinking quite a bit of wassail!)
4- What Trappist beer was originally designed as a Christmas beer?
- Chimay Grande Réserve – also known as the “Blue” in 330ml bottles was first brewed in 1956 and was originally made as a “Christmas Beer”. In 1982 Chimay made this a year round beer and called it Grande Réserve
5- What Christmas beer is brewed at Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg?
- The answer we were looking for was Samichlaus Classic, which is brewed only once per year on Dec 6th.
- Another acceptable answer would be Festbock –this is brewed twice a year- just before Easter & Christmas
6- Name a Trappist brewery currently producing a holiday beer?
- Spencer Brewery – at St. Joseph’s Abbey in Massachusetts is currently the only Trappist Brewery in the USA.
According to their website, their “lightly spiced heart-warming feast day ale” is called Spencer Trappist Holiday Ale.
7- What is unique about La Dragonne from BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)?
- La Dragonne is a beer meant to be enjoyed warm (to approximately 140° F). Therefore, it is a true Winter Warmer
Serving Instructions from the bottle: 1. Open the bottle of La Dragonne; 2. Heat a bain-marie (Water bath) up to 140 degrees F; 3. Place the open La Dragonne in the water bath; 4. Carefully pour the hot La Dragonne. 5. Caution: Make sure that the beer has slightly cooled before consuming.
8- What brewery brews a beer for Chanukah?
There were two possible answers for this question:
- Shmaltz Brewing Company
- Hanukkah, Chanukah Pass the Beer
- Chanukah in Kentucky
- Parallel 49 Brewing Co.
- Bubbie’s Brew Chanukah Edition – Jelly Doughnut Ale
We hope you learned a few new things with this quiz and maybe even discovered a new holiday beer to enjoy! Winners were randomly selected from correct entries and will be notified about prizes via email- so stay tuned- cheers!